PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crazy cabin crew?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2017, 14:08
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, it might grind my gears that some sports figures, singers, actors, hedge fund managers, middle managers, and politicians make more in one year than I’ll see in several lifetimes — while having questionable social value. Maybe even negative societal value. While working less to boot.

Then again a store cashier, construction worker (road or building) or Subway restaurant worker probably toils more than I.

And a Detroit cop gets shot at more than I do.

This is life, and when one makes career choices one finds a job that one likes and pays enough.

Our profession demands training, skill, responsibility, and judgment. And it takes a long time to get there with a very lean apprenticeship period. It can be ended in a minute with lapse of judgment or if ill health strikes. Pay varies with the platform and carrier. Again just the way life is.

If you look at where we base and what we do, almost every other flag carrier pays more — and many are more accommodating in terms of schedule and being commuter friendly. So we are lagging the market for a comparative task in a comparable place. Simple as that.

It does no good to attempt to divide a work force up really for anyone. And most pilots are, have been, and will be supportive of cabin crew in all endeavors. So I think there is a bond of brothers and sisters there and whatever this is it’s well outside the norm.