PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Isle of Man-2
Thread: Isle of Man-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2017, 06:23
milleriom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BELFAST - IOM CONNECTIONS

Originally Posted by M-JCS
Actually milleriom, I have no connection to Eastern, though I am involved in finance, and there is significant financial business to be had in Northern Ireland, whether you like to think so or not. The kind of business this island desperately needs, rather than the cheap tourism you seem to espouse.
One thing I am not is impressed by shiny new EZ aeroplanes with somebody else's lunch left on my seat, and running hours behind schedule, if at all, flying at times and to places I don't need. But then I'm not a pensioner and I depend upon good, reliable business connections without repetitive transfers to get where I need to go in the world. You might do well read SWBKCB's comment above.
There may be significant business to be had in Northern Ireland but I have to ask why has it not happened when we had plenty of direct flights with big capacities, great value fares and perfect Business timings for very, very many years past? I do not think Northern Ireland is one of our key connections nor do I believe it ever will be.

Furthermore, although you dismiss / greatly underestimate the value of visitors nos to the island, the facts are that they are a key part of a diversified island economy and EasyJet are the biggest support plank in that whole area and are growing our visitor nos when every other air service to and from the island has ceased trading, withdrawn or significantly reduced capacities and frequencies. Easyjet's Liverpool, Gatwick and Bristol services are key to the survival of most services with decent aircraft, capacities and frequencies.

Where the frequencies of EasyJet are not good enough for some business people, they can reach almost anywhere with 3 times a day excellent business-orientated timings via LCY using BA CityFlyer (which is ironically still operated by Eastern for them on an old wet-leased unreliable SAAB 2000).

The fact is that we are where we now are and EasyJet is the dominant player. Bemoaning the loss of a thin schedule on one route on a small aircraft
is not going to change any facts-on-the-ground.

BTW, I did read SWBKCB's post - I am a very senior professional and reading and understanding all the detail is the key plank of my skill-set!

As I am really busy just now and I am going to be away for most of the next 3 months on mixed purpose domestic UK and long-haul travels, I shall withdraw quietly from this thread and the forum having made points about which I felt strongly enough to actually post something here (despite being a very, very rare poster of anything, anywhere at all).

Best wishes to all for a very Happy Christmas and New Year and a very healthy, happy and successful 2018 - I hope that next year brings you all that you wish for.

Milleriom