PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans To Be 'Formally Recognised With Official ID Cards'
Old 14th Dec 2017, 22:44
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I am slightly disappointed that nobody has taken me up on the main point of my earlier post which is "Do you actually think that having served in HM Forces as opposed to 101 other occupations entitles you to some sort of special treatment?"

As I said before, other than provision for those whose health, mental or physical has been affected by their service, I see no reason why we should expect any special treatment purely because we once wore the Queen's uniform. Theresa May said I deserved recognition for my "sacrifice". I made no sacrifice, I saw my time in the RAF as a privilege, and at times I couldn't believe how lucky I was, compared with old school friends slogging through life in a boring civil service job or a bank, etc. And yes, of course I recognise that many have made sacrifices, some have made the supreme one, but I have already said those people, or their dependents, should be adequately compensated

Good luck to everyone applying for these various cards, but as somebody pointed out to me, I don't have to have one, so I wont be applying. Does anybody who, like me, made no particular sacrifice still think they deserve special recognition? I'd really like to hear your reasons.