PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans To Be 'Formally Recognised With Official ID Cards'
Old 13th Dec 2017, 23:28
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Right, I'm going out on a limb here. I'm expecting to get flamed, and I've got my tin hat ready.

If I am honest, I don't see the fact that I have served in HM Forces, in itself entitles me to special treatment, any more than if I had been a policeman, a fireman, a nurse or even a street sweeper if it comes to that. I'm not talking about men and women who have suffered as a result of their service, either physically or mentally, it is entirely right that they should be looked after well. What I'm talking about is the vast majority of us, including I suspect a lot of us on here, who spent a number of years of their life doing interesting and varied work, probably travelling a fair bit, and getting adequately, if not over-generously paid for it. Also for anybody of my age or younger we all volunteered, nobody made us join up.

I'm proud of my service but I don't want any special treatment for it. I haven't applied for a Defence Discount Card, which I understand is pretty useless in any case, and I wont be bothering to claim this new thing (or get a V on my driving licence), should I live that long.

Right, I'm off down to the shelter now