PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto pilot use
Thread: Auto pilot use
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2003, 18:52
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would the PNF have to monitor the PF any more when he is hand flying than when he is not?
Does it really have to be spelled out for you that much? I guess it does.

When the automatics are engaged, they fly the aircraft. PF monitors the automatics. When PF is flying, he needs to be monitored. The only person on a 2-crew flight deck to do that is the PNF.

It appears to me that, across the pond in the former colonies, the culture is much more one in which the Captain is God, and woe betide any FO who gets uppity and wants to monitor what the skipper is doing.

In Europe, we have realised that, in order to ensure flight safety, a rather more modern concept of crew interaction is needed - i.e., one which takes into account the physiology and psychology of human interaction. To this end, it is understood that the flight crew are a team. It is not a regimental officer's mess, where decisions get handed down from on high, and in which you don't question your orders.

Pilots make mistakes, whichever side they're sitting on. Part of the other guy's job is to trap those mistakes. To this end, crew interaction is needed. This entails CRM. Good CRM implies that you don't bog the other guy down with needless extra work just when he's at his busiest just because you fancy playing.

Ralph, if you really think that automation has increased the workload, then you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.