PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2017, 18:29
Prangster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
'Would the young officer'

'In charge of the dockyard visit report immediately to the station commander. The duty guardroom cpl hopped off the bus muttering, 'I wouldn't be in your shoes sir'

The day had begun so nicely. Quick bus trip from Thorney Island to Portsmouth, Wonderful morning bobbing about in one of the navy's little boats as they took us for a spin round their harbour thingy. Negative cadet sickness and suitable expressions of awe as we disembark. WO P (Ex Regiment) all slashed peak and gaiters forms 80 ATC cadets into ranks and begins to march them towards our next port of call which just happens to be HMS Victory.

Nearing the ship (upper decks packed with civilians on holiday) our little band is approached by a full RN Captain, and two Commanders.

WO P quite rightly gives compliments on the march.
They ignored us.

I winced and took a deep breath wondering what would happen next. WO P had 'Old School Regiment' tattooed on his arse.

What happened next was the Dougie about turned them, double marched the lads past the RN trio, about turned them again and planted himself in front of the brass

'I said compliments on the march, pause, pause SIRS'

Hurried flick of wrist from Captain.

By now Victory's holidaymakers are cheering us on.

PS I'd only been commissioned a week.
Staish was very kind, the epitome of senior officer trying to stifle a grin as I did this tale relate.

My daughter became the curator of Portsmouth City Museum and even now I can't walk past that bloody ship without cringing.