PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester madness - security
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2017, 15:10
fairflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by His dudeness
I guess you are not wrong but then every fukcing airport makes up their own rules. Yesterday I went through security at EDDS GAT as crew just with one other crew, no pax, private flight. I was allowed to put my suitcase on the belt, after the screening I`m not allowed to touch it until it is in the van. From the van I´m allowed again to put it either the hold or the cabin. WTF ?

I´m not against security, but I refuse to accept rules and regs that make no sense at all or might even serve to make a safety risk in their own right. If I can´t get deiced in time because of somebody making up rules that are nuts, then....
Yup, that's the key, whether going through airport-controlled security/airside access or going through FBO-controlled screening, they're all doing it slightly differently, with different protocols and so that's hundreds of different ways crew or passengers (and their bags) might expect to be dealt with which is a nightmare when managing expectations. There's of course supposed to be one common standard across Europe but, surprise, surprise, everyone has their own interpretation of what's acceptable when processing 'business aviation' flights which most consider the least likely threat from a security standpoint. Again, when the authorities find inconsistencies and bending of the rules, they do come down on the perpetrators fairly heavily. Similarly, they have been playing catch-up in the UK over recent years making non-commercial airports that do have the ability to conduct screening, seriously tighten up on airside access and controls - 'Directed Airports'. The same applies to FBOs on the commercial airports, they get audited and clobbered for non-compliance, then tighten everything up. Bottom line, a chartered flight above 10 tonnes has to be treated exactly the same as an airliner, as would a private flight in fact above 45.5 tonnes (i.e. a G650ER)