PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2017, 15:10
southside bobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTNman.

Yes elements of reality there but totally in the case of Luton Council as you state.

However say in the case of STN,Uttlesford District Council responsible for planning is on side nowadays after major long running public enquiries which approved growth to 35m together with all the required infrastructure & are only overseers nowadays regarding build within the boundary.

They will shortly however be approached for permission to go to 43.5m.MAG are conducting local presentations for feedback & have already amended the new max fig once.

I would hazard to suggest that a doubling of LTN`s traffic as per aspirations would be a decision that may well be removed from Luton Council`s remit this time so would go to a major planning enquiry...which as you imply takes many years & did in STN`s case.

I believe the latest growth to 18m at LTN only escaped major scrutiny/inquiry last time because of & with as you say support from the Council & then effectively being nodded thru by the relevant Government Minister.

National/Governmental politics I mentioned has always favoured the growth of STN & therefore has constrained LTN in the past.

With local politics I was really referring to Hertfordshire County Council in whose jurisdiction any logical breakout from LTN`s airfield boundary would be thus requiring their permission...& that ain`t never gonna happen.

As it stands HCC has already made statements this week to protect Herts residents from noise from LTN.

But overall growth & aspired growth for both STN & LTN can only be a good thing.