PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2017, 09:45
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I have mentioned this before, not sure if on this thread.
One early summers afternoon in 1982, I was UWAS co pilot in an early 1960s Vauxhall Viva. The captain of said vehicle was one APO Martin, known to some later as PMAR.
We had just gone past the St Athan Officers Mess entrance, on our way to the car park or square behind, when we were spotted by the SWO, who was holding some kind of gardening/litter exercise with a couple of airmen.
The 'AHHHHHH....' that emitted from his mouth could be heard over the ancient engine even with the windows wound up. The 4 drum brakes bought us to a decent stop, so all he had to do was march quick time up to PMARs door. Slap bang outside the Ante room or there abouts.
Before PMAR had even wound the window down, we could hear..'WHAT ARE YOU A DOING, DRIVING PAST THE OFFICERS A MESS , YOU ORRIBLE.....'
As cool as a cucumber, PMAR wound down the old window, presented his 1250, on seeing which the SWO stopped his tirade, stepped back, gave an impressive salute..'SAH' and got on with whatever he was doing.
PMAR muttered something to me, I have long since forgotten, smiled and we drove off. I felt myself lucky to have been with an APO, as I am not sure the SWO would have taken so kindly to a UWAS Cadet Pilot!
There was also another PMAR incident, but I am not sure if the SWO was the individual concerned with this one. In Jan 82, St Athan was closed for 72 hours after the worst snow in living memory. PMAR decided it would be a good idea to build a ' giant snow phallus', bang outside the Ante room, so off we went. Now he modelled this around some sort of large stone ornament in the shape of a I believe a bird table. Phallus finished we retired to the mess. Some time in the afternoon as we contemplated another snow outing, a heavily clothed figure appeared outside and took a swift kick at the phallus. The kicker fell over and then hopped around in agony, then limped slowly away. The figure never entered the mess and we weren't sure if it was the SWO, but our belief then was that it was. We stood sniggering in the warmth of the Ante room like the schoolboys we had been some months previously.
PMAR,one of the best!