PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC-10 and Tristar
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2017, 06:45
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sid-star
The Air NZ DC10's had sheep skin seat covers in the Flight Deck and only flew to /fm LAX - LHR.
That was correct for the bulk of the (quite lengthy) lease arrangement, but towards the end, when BA took delivery of the more capable 747-200B and LAX was the first destination it was put on, they also ran LHR to Montreal, Miami, and maybe elsewhere, and instead of being exchanged each day lasted for up to a week operating from Heathrow.

I understand that westbound LHR-LAX could still be marginal, and if there was a full pax load and headwinds anticipated, freight would have to be offloaded. There was also a procedure, which I very nearly experienced as pax (we were given letters at check in describing it) before it was cancelled at the last minute, that if things were too tight it would operate with a fuel stop at Prestwick. Flight time restrictions required a crew change there, so the relieving crew had to be anticipated and sent up the day before.

As it's time for an appropriate seasonal comment, the ANZ DC-10s on the route were the only aircraft I have ever seen with Christmas decorations down the cabin, they were lightweight paper spheres hung from the cabin ceiling. Did they bounce around in turbulence !

One of those posting above is, I believe, the expert, as they were there at the time !

Last edited by WHBM; 13th Dec 2017 at 08:27.