PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Share
Thread: C172 Share
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 23:32
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by betterfromabove
From what I've seen, I would say that the things beyond your control that will be most important in the long run in a group are:

1. Are that any issues with the other pilots in the group in terms of how they're flying the plane
2. Bad people relations within the group. The fact that you won't physically see them very often can lead to miscommunications
3. Availability of the plane. A degree of flexibility goes a long way and being fair
4. Degree of maintenance and who is carrying it out. Big potential issue.

And none of this will obviously be easy to find out.

It's a bit like thinking about buying a house and finding out if there are any issues with the neighbours.....you have to think laterally ;-)

In my experience, the best place to try and find out the truth is with the local flying club and its instructors. They tend to get to know this stuff and every time I thought about a share I was always able to find out the hidden story (good and bad) this way.

BFA
Having been in parallel or series a member of 7 syndicates to date, I think that this is the best advice.

In my experience a problematic aeroplane and a good syndicate will come good. A good aeroplane - however good - will not survive a dysfunctional syndicate.

Meet as many people as possible, look at bookings, look at any issues going on, look at how long engineering problems have historically taken to solve. This will give you a good idea.

However good the aeroplane is, stay away if the syndicate is not working well.

G