PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ATR grounded in Canberra
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 22:23
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
So how does a regional prop designed for this sort of flying find itself with CoG issues?

Caveat - I have no knowledge of the Type or this incident so please read my comments as generic.

Just about any aircraft can get caught out by misloading .. the bigger the bird and the more time tight the turnarounds, the greater the risk of a screw up.

It is for protection against such events that operator systems and crew protocols (along with one's individual safety checks) are in place and seek to catch the error before it gets off chocks.

Even the experts can trip up .. I recall a tale from a very experienced TP .. years ago he and his FTE were off to test a small aircraft. However it transpired, the ballast load was greatly in error and the loaded cg far too aft. After the flight it was established that the aircraft was statically unstable for the flight. With knowledge of what to do and how to do it, he managed to drag it around the circuit in a sweaty fashion .. most of us would have ended in a smoking hole in the ground.

Inadvertent misloading is an ever-present worry for crews, I suggest.

A very real and constant risk with freighters.

All it takes with a passenger aircraft is to load cargo A into hold D and vice versa to give the pilots some excitement.

Be very cautious out there in the real world of aviation, good people.