PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester madness - security
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 13:18
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think there's a lot of ignorance on the part of certain business aviation operators about the rules (and among most charter brokers selling the flights), where outbound chartered flights above ten tonnes MTOW are supposed to have the same screening protocols as if it were a commercial airline flight - there are no differences whatsoever. Charter brokers and then the operators, don't tend to give their passengers an appropriate heads-up to expect to have to go through screening in exactly the same way they would for a commercial airline flight - the same rules for hold and cabin bags apply. This, despite the fact that on almost all business aircraft types the 'hold' luggage is accessible from the cabin in flight. Uninformed Biz Av passengers turn up expecting to sail through with near no checks on them or their bags, when in the UK at least, it has to be by-the-book and exactly the same as if going on the Ryanair flight. What confuses some is when they flit between using a 'private', non-public transport flight one day and then a chartered flight the next and they forget that all the screening requirements kick in. Likewise they experience a 'lighter touch' approach at some FBOs versus the correct and compliant 'by-the-book' protocols and complain accordingly. Those airports/FBOs applying the 'lighter touch', soon find the DfT (or other national equivalents) coming down on them very heavily when they hear of malpractice or indeed the rights and permission to do screening in their FBOs withdrawn completely.

On the crew front, where you get some airports with separate airside zones from 'Critical Parts', crews should be able to go freely airside, but not into the Critical Parts where they still have to be screened.
I guess you are not wrong but then every fukcing airport makes up their own rules. Yesterday I went through security at EDDS GAT as crew just with one other crew, no pax, private flight. I was allowed to put my suitcase on the belt, after the screening I`m not allowed to touch it until it is in the van. From the van I´m allowed again to put it either the hold or the cabin. WTF ?

I´m not against security, but I refuse to accept rules and regs that make no sense at all or might even serve to make a safety risk in their own right. If I can´t get deiced in time because of somebody making up rules that are nuts, then....