PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester madness - security
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 12:09
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4HolerPoler
Well it was an experience but thanks to the brilliant efforts of our handler (Signature) and our decision not to leave the aircraft, there were no real issues.

We parked on the stand and the pax were not allowed to disemark into the FBO vans (parked at the bottom of the steps) because a security cordon had not yet been established around the aircraft. The security perimeter consists of 3 or 4 paltry little fences on wheels they drag around behind a Pajero. These arrived and were ceremoniously placed in front of the nose and at each wingtip (I never looked at the tail). A white van with at least 3 reflective-jacket types arrived and now it was “safe enough” for the pax to disemark and off they went.

My biggest relief was not having to engage on a single occasion with these security folk. They sat in their van at the edge of the virtual security perimeter and watched us sleep for hours on end. I can’t wait to see how much we’re going to pay for that facility.

Departure was a little complicated by these procedures. We needed to de-ice and when the de-icing truck arrived he wasn’t allowed to breach the virtual security perimeter. It took around 20 minutes for the guy with the Pajero to arrive and tow away these force-field generators (disguised as fences with wheels). Then when de-icing was over another bloke in another Pajero had to be found as he’s in charge of determing if there is any FOD lurking around.

Simple as that. The guys from Signature made a miserable situation on a tatty day a breeze.

This was entirely a private flight fairflyer; we see little value in any additional safety measures above what is practical and common-sense yet we have learnt to dance the local rumba to satisfy the authorities.

I do understand that the UK CAA has indicated that if any local airport management wish to impose any measures or restrictions greater than that mandated by law they will not challenge or question such procedures.

Till the next one.
4HP, there are other airports within 40 minutes of MCR, you bosses choice.