PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 03:26
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read a fair amount of bunk in this, my 10 cents.

The ‘Visual’ call is standard in the states to allow tighter separation to traffic ahead, same in Dubs.

Last time I went to JFK, a couple of months ago, we flew the carnasie approach.

Ignored VOR approach as per LIDO text, pluged the RNAV approach in the FMS which flies the VOR and the turn, flew it Nav / FPA; then looked out the window to make sure it is matching the real world.

It flew us nicely round the corner and we then disconnected at 200 feet and landed.

There is no doubt it is less than ideal there are 3 pages dedicated to the approach that subtlety differ. For those of you from the stoneage that say WTF to ‘ignore the VOR’. The VOR is just a poorer RNAV overlay.

So choices; possibly wrong approach in FMS, didn’t read the text for the approach or pressed Approach button.

If you press the Approach button it dumps you in the weeds, seen that in the sim ; that would be my guess.

Big picture seems a bit of a screw up, picked up at some point, MAP carried out from about 500 feet and safe return.

Cue 6 pages of slagging crew, aircraft, JFK ATC, all US controllers and Emirates plus their management. Off flying tomorrow, I hope I don’t do anything to raise the ire of my sympathetic colleagues😱