PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus FLS Mode
Thread: Airbus FLS Mode
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 03:23
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 737NG i was flying there was actually no difference at all to the ILS display, same diamonds display. And the same behavior, the pointers became more sensitive the closer one was to the runway. The display was not dependent on the FD being on, so flying an approach manually without FD in a way similar to raw data based on the IAN pointers was possible. Only downside were the frequent GPWS „GLIDESLOPE“ callouts, as the computed vertical glide path is based on baro information it often was off on short final. Which shouldn’t matter as below DA one has to fly visually anyway, but the path is computed until 50 ft AGL and can trigger GPWS warnings. Only difference for LOC was the FMA, which showed LOC/GP instead of FAC/GP.

In my view therefore quite different to the old FINAL APP on the airbus, but probably very similar to FLS. Not to mention that FINAL APP is not available for LOC/BC approaches on the minibus.

Now, i stopped flying boeing three years ago, so there might have been changes in the meantime of course. Avionics wise the A320 was a step back in time, as an everyday office i prefer it.