PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how 2 b a good passenger...
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2003, 14:38
Snoopy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really that bad???

Some of the posts by cabin crew on this thread would have one believe that conditions are absolutely appalling. I used to be a station manager for a US carrier in Europe. Now I am out of the industry, I fly well over 40 legs per year, mostly medium to long-haul and in C. Sure, over the years I have noticed the odd passenger whose behaviour has been less than perfect, more often than not out of lack of consideration rather than out-and-out rudeness.

But are things really as bad as some of you make it out to be? I know, we all have our off days (and that goes for passengers too). There are those who want to take 5 carry-ons on board and tell you that you are being rude when you say no (been there, seen it done it - in an earlier life). There are smokers who want you to conjure up smoking seats on non-smoking flights. There are journalists (although this could be replaced by politician, doctor, ....) who have the cheapest ticket which they slap on the check-in counter demanding to be seated in C-class because they need to work! But, are passengers like this the rule and not the exception? I can't really imagine it....

Is there a big difference between the passengers on the BA's of this world and the Ryanair's and Easy Jets? Who is worse, the "Bucket & Spade Brigade" or the "Pin Stripes"? Has the advent of the LCC (and the corresponding decline in prices) meant that now any Tom, Dick or Harry can fly? (Tongue firmly planted in cheek...no one to be insulted please) Or have the privileged that have always been able to take two foreign holidays a year, or those with dosh available to buy seats in the premium cabins always been so arrogant that they treat everyone else like skivvies anyway?

Come on....tell us that you actually enjoy flying and that it is not REALLY that bad.