PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 11th Dec 2017, 19:56
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iceman50
airpolice

You are correct

Quote:
I don't know a lot about the airshow business, but I would expect that the organisers might not want to pay, if you don't display.

Safety comes well before displaying when the conditions are not suitable. Display pilots would have a horizontal routine should the weather preclude a "normal" routine and if the weather was unsuitable for that a fly past or nothing at all. They were my plans for displaying.

As for

Quote:

However, in this case we seem to be overlooking the bit where some of the people charged with running the show, failed to do their agreed bit to provide a safe venue.

I think the "event" occurred outside the display area.

Are you saying that the organisers, council, police and CAA are not responsible for activity outside of the airfield or crowd area?

The crash occurred on the 230m line so isn't that their responsibility - an area that you as a display pilot would expect to be sanitised, would you not?

So is the pilot solely responsible for this area? This is not my interpretation of the AAIB report, nor their damning analysis of the Shoreham Airshow Risk Assessment and their wider criticism of the organisational aspects.

The AAIB commissioned a review by the Health and Safety Laboratory, of the risk assessment for the 2015 show. The review also considered the equivalent risk assessments for the 2013 and 2014 Shoreham air shows. It’s reports stated;

“It was found that the Shoreham Air show Air Display Risk Assessment contained a number of deficiencies compared to what would have been expected for a risk assessment to control risks to the public.”

My point remains...... some of the people charged with running the show, failed to do their agreed bit to provide a safe venue.

The organisers of the 2015 Shoreham Airshow had identified that the junction of the A27 was a popular location from which to view the display. The AAIB was informed that in previous years several hundred people had been observed at the road junction between the A27, Shoreham Bypass, and the Old Shoreham Road, and in the grounds of a nearby, now closed, public house.

The display organisers and the local emergency services had been concerned about the road traffic risk to these crowds and the display organisers had taken steps to minimise the number of people in this area.

The ground operations risk assessment identified the hazard as, ‘Fast moving
trunk road. 70 mph dual carriageway Traffic lights and queuing traffic.’ and
proposed the action as ‘Traffic management plan in place. No right turns. Traffic Lights off and 40 mph limit in place.

The arrangements, which had been in place for several years, included
restricting the view of the airfield, placing signs in the area and having stewards ask people to move on.

However, neither the organisers nor the police had requested or been granted the power to exclude people from this area and their efforts did not prevent a gathering at the A27 junction.