PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2017, 06:35
ChalfontFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reference the reduction to LHR-LBA, I'm not surprised as I have flown it usually on a Monday about a dozen times in the past couple of years & rarely has the A319 been more than half full. Whilst the fares were certainly not excessive (usually paid just over £100 for a same day return), I would agree that the lack of an overnight in LBA would have put off many Business types coming down to London. Usually the passenger mix was skewed more to the leisure travelers, specifically those connecting from Australasia, the Indian sub continent & the Far East so I would guess the reduction won't put them off but the 1 flight a day on some days won't work if you just need to go there & back in the same day.
Also, LBA can as many would know be a tricky airport to get into due to being somewhat prone to fog. Have had a couple of experiences of landing difficulties on the BA morning flight, first time we did land but then sat on the runway for a couple of minutes & I couldn't see anything beyond the wing tip. On disembarking I remarked to the Captain I wouldn't drive a car in those conditions that he'd just landed a rather expensive plane in. His reply was "All in a morning's work sir!". The second time after a couple of attempts we diverted to MAN though on that occasion I didn't think the visibility was as poor. That then meant a coach transfer for all my fellow travelers but I was fortunate enough to be able to reorganise my training course to our Manchester site much to the bemusement of my colleague who was going to pick me up at LBA who then had to travel over the Pennines!!

Last edited by ChalfontFlyer; 11th Dec 2017 at 07:40.