PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burst tyre behind Concorde crash-report
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2002, 02:53
Dale Harris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this cr@p about "you take what you're given?" To knowingly take off in conditions that do not meet the performance requirements in the given conditions is pretty stupid. Although, maybe in France it's o.k. I have never heard of any airport here (Aust.) refusing a request for runway change based on the captains requirements performance wise. Of course, we're not as busy as CDG and places like that, but I find it pretty hard to imagine that there are no alternatives to accepting what is not suitable. You are after all the "Captain". I'm not suggesting the weight/tailwind problem caused/didn't cause a problem, but as pointed out earlier, it obviously wouldn't help. Anyhow, to say that the piece of metal is the "only" real contributing factor is garbage. Sure, if it wasn't there the plane would not have struck it. If the Captain had requested an appropriate runway for the conditions the plane probably wouldn't have struck it. Kinda like "If my auntie had b@lls, she'd be my uncle" All the factors have a place, and where possible, all must be considered and acted upon.