PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2017, 03:26
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Wow - So if you have more fuel, you have more time? I’ll have to write that down in my “Big Book Of Wisdom I’ve Learnt From People With Actual Operational Experience”.

I’d like to learn more: At what time do you make what radio calls to obtain complete weather information on the flight that NGA ditched? Precise times and precise terminology thanks, LL.

I reiterate what the Operator’s submission to the Senate Inquiry said:
The aircraft transferred to Auckland at 0839 but did not request the latest Norfolk weather until 0904 when they were given the 0902 SPECI which showed broken (BKN) cloud at 1100 feet and OVC cloud at 1500 feet. This finally alerted them to the situation at Norfolk Island. However a much more severe SPECI was issued earlier at 0830 showing a marked deterioration of the weather with cloud BKN at 300 ft and OVC at 900 ft. This was well below the landing minima and if it had been passed to the aircraft on first contact with Auckland would have alerted the crew to the true situation with time enough to divert. At 0839 the aircraft was still around 32 min away from the last diversion point to Tontouta as shown in the timeline in the report. Additionally, if the Nadi controller had passed the 0830 SPECI to the aircraft when it was issued there would have been even more time for the crew to assimilate the changing weather and take appropriate action. As it was the critical 0830 SPECI was never passed to the crew. [NOTE: In the Pelair submission, the bolded text in the quote above is in red font.]
So it seems the operator also took the view that a trap was set for the PIC by what was volunteered in contrast to what was withheld.

You use phrases like “conspiracy theory” in an attempt to discredit people who have a different view than you. It does you no credit.