PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 20:36
Bus Driver Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olster
Very glad that this was not a Big One. There was a EK training video made that showed how to fly RNAV / RNP approaches on to 13L/R @ JFK. Ludicrously complex and involved secondary flight plan swap @ low altitude. I commented on the complexity during RTGS and I may have just talked to the wall. To be frank, life was simpler flying a Carnarsie VOR and look for the lights.
None of the RNAV Visual, RNP AR or RNAV Overlay of the Canarsie approach (called RNAV X at EK) require any swapping of the secondary flight plan. They all have lateral guidance until the threshold. Maybe it was like that in the past, but I remember that the secondary flight plan swap was used on the original Canarsie approach because there was no lateral guidance to the threshold and therefore no vertical deviation indication.

But this shows again that EK is creating confusion about the approaches for 13L/R and that their procedures are based on full automation and use of FMS, instead of looking outside and flying the plane.
(If you want vertical deviation indication, just insert a waypoint on final and connect it with the threshold. But for some reason, EK wanted their pilots to be heads down and swap secondary flight plans at 800'.)

But I agree, too complicated for something that shouldn't be complicated. Just like many other procedures.

The whole automation policy and fear culture discourages EK pilots from actually flying the aircraft. The "new" policy is supposed to encourage manual flight, but with a fear of punishment, that will never happen. And to be honest, following 2 green bars and having the A/THR on all the time doesn't improve skills.

Flying skills are deteriorating rapidly when you work for EK, but don't blame the pilots, blame EK management and their company culture.