PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 13:39
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibmpilot
RNAV Visual to both RWY 13L/R currently not authorized:
Thanks ibmpilot, that answers that question.

Originally Posted by ruserious
Every time I do JFK in the simulator I get taught something different, very often by an instructor who is confused as to what is the correct procedure for this specific phase. We are so over-endowed with procedures, standard calls, techniques and FCU fiddling that we have turned what is a very simple approach and all other NPA's into an 800 pound gorilla, waiting to fall out of a tree.
Originally Posted by Bus Driver Man
It's not a difficult approach, but you have to know what you are doing. And instead of letting pilots be pilots and letting the pilot decide on how he wants to fly the plane, EK dictates in a long and confusing text how to fly this approach.
Originally Posted by olster
Very glad that this was not a Big One. There was a EK training video made that showed how to fly RNAV / RNP approaches on to 13L/R @ JFK. Ludicrously complex and involved secondary flight plan swap @ low altitude. I commented on the complexity during RTGS and I may have just talked to the wall. To be frank, life was simpler flying a Carnarsie VOR and look for the lights.
It's been a while but I've sure worked for an expat airline where a couple of nationalities seemed to thrive on complex procedures, personal techniques and extra callouts.

The more times you twist a knob or type in the box down low, the better it seemed to the sim gods.

I'm just a country boy tryin' to earn a livin'. Simple procedures are more likely to be accomplished correctly in my opinion.