PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 09:36
Bus Driver Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Odins Raven
Is that RNP AR not authorised for EK on 13L???

We sure flew it enough times on sim checks for practice during my time in the company.
The A380 isn't RNP AR approved. Only the B777 at EK.

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Again, not all carriers and fleets have this one. Is it available on the EK A380? In some FMS's the waypoints seem to be the same as the GPS 13L in the box.

I think it is another authorization required (AR) situation like the FMS Bridge Visual 28R of recent Air Canada taxiway fame at SFO.

I've run into traps in the past trying to use an FMS overlay approach to fly a legacy VOR where everything is the same except for one altitude or turn point.

Looks like Moscow and Kennedy will be on the 2018 EK sim profiles.
RNAV Visual 13L is available for the A380 at EK.

EK created confusion by having first the RNAV Visual 13L as preferred approach for EK while at the same time training the RNP AR 13L in the simulator when it was pending approval. The RNP AR was never approved for the A380, so EK created their own RNAV overlay for the Canarsie 13L with lateral navigation until the threshold of 13L and a continuous descent from 1500' at D2.2 after CRI. If you start to descent at or just after CRI, you will end up at 800' at DMYHL, which is still 4NM from the threshold of 13L. If you keep descending, you end up in a similar situation as EK207.

It's not a difficult approach, but you have to know what you are doing. And instead of letting pilots be pilots and letting the pilot decide on how he wants to fly the plane, EK dictates in a long and confusing text how to fly this approach.

Just like EK dictates a lot of things which prevent the pilots making any decision themselves. Even though the EK way might be more complicated and might make less sense, they don't seem to encourage common sense and they are creating confusion with poorly written policies.
They are creating pilots who will blindly follow anything they are being told because of fear of getting into trouble.
But of course, according to management, there is no reason to fear!