PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 08:06
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I agree that there has to be a better way to get in to these runways with today's technology, for now, this is what we have. Remember, this approach was designed for steam gauge airplanes and they safely made it work for longer than GPS and RNAV have been around. The difference is, back then, they knew how to look out a window, hell they used the stars, lol. Point being is, if you are going fly this approach, remember when it was designed, and the fact it was designed to look out the window and be visual. If you brief the visual cues, it should help protect you from picking up the wrong runway.
You raise a good point, namely that safety does not necessarily increase with more sophisticated equipment. Especially when decorated with some of the more stupid sops and techniques of chiefs and trainers who would have better stayed under their rocks or dunes.

Then you raise a somewhat less valuable point by emphasising that more briefings would protect us from stuff ups.
I don't know if you have ever been exposed to the ek-austronaut-briefings, but they did certainly not help the last two years. Some common sense in flying, training and managing however might lead to more looking out of the window and realising that the stuff happens out there, in reality and not on the fancy displays inside or in the increasingly grotesque excursions into sim-pams that seem to be the only defence ek training has left to counter the endemic fear induced fixation on more and more useless sops and checks.

What bothers me more is a somewhat new phenomenon. In many of the recent incidents, there were some quite experienced pilots involved. We complain a lot about the low experience coming into the company and the higher one leaving, but now why the above?
There seems to be a lot of 'i am tired of ....' or 'i am fed up with ....' especially among us older ek pilots which can lead to a certain form of negligence. This might be an explanation and points to where we can look into the mirror and vow to not let this happen. I complain a lot about the mis-management around here, this might then be a least one field where i can raise my own game again, as i certainly do not exempt myself from that danger. I definitely do not expect any substantial change from above, so to that extent allow me to copy what i wrote on another thread some days ago (before 207):

Even being quite old, experienced and somewhat immune to this aviation bs, i still get a dreadful vibe when opening the portal and having to look at the initial picture and dredge any notification of some impending rgts or sims.
They have really succeeded in taking out the last tiny drop of trust.

Stay safe out there