PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 01:28
a747jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I will let others argue the how, when, why, ect. For safety though, and having flown that approach many times in may career including a few times at EK, in my opinion, and I will emphasis, my opinion, the most critical mistake that people not familiar with this approach make whether they are flying the VOR or RNAV is that they look for the runway first instead of picking up the visual lead in lights. These lights, can be used to ensure you are going towards the correct runway and even provide for a pretty accurate turn rate to 13L if you follow them. They will also assist in determining if you are low or not. The main point is they will lead you to the correct runway. They are depicted on both charts and are a briefing point I make every time I fly this approach.

Although I agree that there has to be a better way to get in to these runways with today's technology, for now, this is what we have. Remember, this approach was designed for steam gauge airplanes and they safely made it work for longer than GPS and RNAV have been around. The difference is, back then, they new how to look out a window, hell they used the stars, lol. Point being is, if you are going fly this approach, remember when it was designed, and the fact it was designed to look out the window and be visual. If you brief the visual cues, it should help protect you from picking up the wrong runway.

I hope my post helps those reading in for safety reasons, and if anyone else has any tricks to add, please post them. I really hope if we get some more info out there, we can help protect from future mistakes.