PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unlicensed, Unregulated, illegal theft, etc?
Old 9th Dec 2017, 19:36
ImageGear

Unlicensed, Unregulated, illegal theft, etc?

Last night I watched a rather bizarre (from an aviation perspective) documentary on US pilots who undertake the repossession of aircraft on behalf of banks, and other institutions. Last nights programme featured a group who were simultaneously repossessing a CJ1 light business jet, a boat, and a Lamborghini all at the same time.

Now my question is, all the pilots appeared to be able, quite legally, to fly the aircraft away, to take off from any controlled or uncontrolled airports, without clearance, and no apparent flight plan. They also seemed to be able to accept a request from a bank, etc, to execute the repo at very short notice.

My question is...Are these pilots rated and current on the specific aircraft they are repo-ing?, and how are they getting around all of the regulation and permits necessary to stay the right side of the law. Or is it, as I am beginning to suspect, all put together as a TV show with consenting defaulters. (the cameras seem to have been set up in the defaulters premises prior to the recce to gain access to the aircraft.

If I don't get a comment, I shall assume the worst,

Imagegear