PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for basic/traffic service info
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 17:40
chevvron

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jollyrog
A couple of months ago, at a rock solid 2,300ft near WOD, I received an unsolicited call from the Farnborough ATCO to tell me "Not above your current level due to Heathrow inbounds above".

There then followed a bit of a jumbled conversation, during which I asked her if that was a request or an instruction as I was confused as to the purpose of the call. She fumbled her response, decided it was "advice" and muttered something about Heathrow inbounds being downwind.

It was all complete and utter nonsense, but doubtless as part of their self promotion, has been chalked up as one of the 3,000.
Were you watching a radar display? Did you see the Heathrow inbound traffic descending to 3,000ft for the 09L ILS heading towards you?
Your altimeter may have been showing you 2,300ft, but the mode C on radar might have been as high as 2,500ft and still been within tolerance. A slight bit of turbulence and with no control input on your part, your Mode C is showing 2,600ft ie inside controlled airspace.
I lost count of the number of times my traffic routing through WOD in either direction at 2,400 ft (seen on Mode C and confirmed by the pilot) triggered a TA on Heathrow traffic which was descending towards it and remaining inside controlled airspace, then I would get an irate phone call from the TC Group Supervisor complaining about my traffic which I would then quietly point out was operating quite legally outside controlled airspace.
Then it was written reports all round.
I hate TCAS!