PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corporate 'Own Goal'
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 12:35
Trafalgar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corporate 'Own Goal'

I have just finished reading AT's newsletter regarding housing. Through the fog of anger and frustration on the matter, a few observations:

1) They effectively kicked the ball down the road for a year, and in the meantime have caused three months of stress, worry and concern for almost 2000 pilots and their families.
2) I suspect they never had any real intention of changing the housing at this point. They were interested in bluffing, and seeing our reaction. I am satisfied that the reaction they received convinced them that corporate doom would quickly ensue if they cancelled ARAPA.
3) It is better to negotiate (not impose) a fair, mutually agreeable solution to the ongoing situation with the company's evolution, and the market it operates in.
4) True unity and and resolve is the only solution to ensuring a proper career environment in CX. I believe that there was a firm and convincing display of this over the past few months that encouraged our management to take a needed step back.

I don't wish to gloat. My personal opinion is that CX always intended to approach the situation in this manner. In fact, I believe it is a page out of "Employee Hostage 101': threaten to take something away, then, when they don't, it feels like you've actually been GIVEN something. It is cynical and cheap.

Anna, you could have avoided this terrible and costly situation if you had shown us some respect and understanding from the beginning. I am entitled to the full amount of housing under ARAPA, based on the commitment the company made to me when I left my home country and joined CX. I have never taken more than about 65% of the maximum. Many of us have always been reasonable and fair. I am single, I don't need a three bedroom apartment in Central. I have a modest one bedroom, and am happy with it. However, some of my colleagues with three kids NEED that three bedroom, costing the top whack of the housing, and they should have that provided.

You have done us, and yourself no favours with how you have handled this. In fact, you have brought this airline to the brink. Many of my fellow C and T friends have said they are resigning. Many other of my colleagues are looking for new careers with other airlines. They don't trust you, the Swire's in general or have any faith towards a career with this company. Why, so you can save a few $ on the bottom line? You have lost sight of the great intangibles that all great businesses in the service industry figure out. It's about the PEOPLE. Without dedicated, motivated and positive employees, you have NOTHING. That is what your attitude towards us has wrought. Perhaps you can take some lessons from great people in the airline industry such as Herb Kelleher and Gordon Bethune. They focused on their PEOPLE, knowing they would help make the business succeed.

We all want a healthy and prosperous airline, but it can't be accomplished through intimidation and threat. The AOA offered you a reasonable package. You chose to throw it back in their face. Further, you have insulted and shown contempt to the very people (the Captains) who have a direct impact on the operational cost of this airline. Why, to save a few more $$ (did you really think that not paying the Captains would be seen as anything other than contempt and disrespect?). Have you no idea of the vitriol and anger that you have generated? This will surely result in far more cost than anything you have saved. Let me count the ways we can and will restore the balance in this scenario.

The reality is this: you have alienated the very people who control a large amount of the cost and efficiency in the airline. You have disgusted and lost many of the people in C and T who you rely on. You have convinced many of the FO’s and SO's of the fact that they must move on to better careers elsewhere. All just to prove that 'managers have the right to manage'. Well, you sure showed us.

If you want to get this airline firing on all cylinders, then it is time to take two or three steps back, reach out and sincerely engage in a manner that respects and values us. We are reasonable men and women, but we've been treated badly for too long. Change how you deal with us, and you will find us cooperative and open to fair and mutually beneficial ideas. More of the current attitude and disrespect will surely lead to a corporate disaster.

I am glad you have extended housing for a further year. Use that time wisely and beneficially for ALL parties. This airline is hanging on a knife edge. There is no further margin of error in how you treat YOUR people.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 8th Dec 2017 at 12:50.