PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - agency or direct contract
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 11:30
plikee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FRogge
If you want to be based in Italy, why not consider Norwegian and Rome base. It’s not perfect, but much much better option than FR. (Talking about short haul, can’t say anything about the long haul)
Yeah right... You then get laid off for the winter with no pay, they promise it won't happen again and next winter, you get laid off again. Clearly a trustworthy employer. Not sure how much better it is against Ryanair (and I'm not defending Ryanair either). If you decide to go to FR, definitely take the permanent contract. If you are experienced, you can get the base you want and the direct contract easily. Just tell then you won't go until they guarantee that. That's how desperate they are. But don't expect any favours either once you're in as the people from the outside will always get priority over their current employees.

The contracts vary where you are based. Assuming the you want to be based in Italy (judging by your nickname), on a agency contract, you'll pay tax in Ireland but only in the income you get from doing overseas flights. If you're doing domestic flights, you will pay tax in Italy (this was the arrangement and I think it is still in place). I can't speak for direct contract in Italy but I believe you pay National Insurance in the country you're based and tax to Ireland (except UK where you pay everything in the UK). If you are a cadet (aka will have to pay for TR) and you're looking for money only, the agency contract might be the best option as you can offset the expenses you have against your salary (you will get a tax free salary for maybe 3 years until you run out of expenses). If you are experienced and are just doing a transition course, it's most likely you won't have many expenses, maybe up to a year or slightly more. After expenses are gone, you probably will have a slightly less income compared to a direct contract BUT they main thing is that you won't get any pension/sick pay/holiday pay/per diem. Also as agency, if you don't fly, you don't get the €€€€ to feed yourself and others but looking at the current situation where they messed up their pilot roster (please read: they are so short of people that they can't crew their aircraft), you are most likely to flow 900 hours in 10 months instead of 12. Agency contract is also tax dodgy so don't be surprised if you get the taxman knocking at your door at somepoint: you'll be liable for EVERYTHING, not your accountant that told you what and how to do it.

Personally, direct contract. For you, assess your current AND future situation. Best of luck!

Last edited by plikee; 8th Dec 2017 at 11:48.