PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 10:19
Olympia 463

I knew that the armchair glider pilots would join in to this thread and it would go go off track.

What is the ATC for these days? The RAF require very few pilots these days, so as a feeder for the RAF you are kidding the kids. To get to be a fast jet pilot you MUST have a degree in engineering or its equivalent. I expect (but do not know for sure) that the same applies to helicopters.

If the point of the ATC is to enthuse youngsters with the idea of flying as a career you are selling them something that 99% of them will never aspire to. The largest amount of flying done these days is in commercial jet aircraft to which you progress maybe from propellor types. Some airlines have direct entry to cadetships for people with much lower educational credentials. However this route needs the bank of Mum and Dad to be achievable.

So the ATC needs to review its objectives before it decides how achieve them. Are they doing this for 21st century youth?

Once those objectives have been determined the need for aircraft can be examined, and the type of aircraft will be established.

My comments about K13 vs ASK21 were meant to establish the type of equipment they might need if they in fact intend to go on offering training to solo standard.

I am long out of the loop here, and my observations were hopefully going to concentrate minds. Instead of which we seem bogged down in a discussion about maintenance.