PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CT Coronary Angiogram?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 10:04
Radgirl

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend you get your cardiologist to talk to your spinal surgeon. It is amazing how useful it is for 2 doctors to talk to each other. If your cardiologist then agrees there is no need for further investigation, and can appease your AME, all is sorted

If your cardiologist still believes there is a risk of coronary pathology, he can advise you which of the 3 tests to have - CTA, angiography or an exercise ECG. However, without further details angiography would rarely be the first test. I understand from my cardiology colleagues that for undiagnosed chest pain CTA is what is recommended by both the specialty and the NHS.

The radiation dose depends on the machine used. New machines have almost halved the dose in the last few years and quite frankly if your cardiologist feels it is clinically indicated I wouldnt give it a second thought. It will give you an unequivocal and immediate answer, and if there is an issue it may help you avoid an angiogram which apart from the much higher dose of radiation has other risks.

So I would agree with your cardiologist rather than your AME and reassure you the radiation on a new machine is irrelevant on a risk:benefit analysis