PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - is there anything we shouldn't do??? please share....
Old 17th Sep 2003, 04:18
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with the others about doing the PPL in the states.

I did it and it wasn't until i did my FI course I understood why I had to work harder than I should have. So I don't agree that the US has a Universal we are the best. No your just one of the cheapest.

As for instructors in the states, yes you get good ones and you get bad just as the UK. As a general rule because they don't have the same amount of ground school to do they won't be as switched on with the theory. As for talking JAR so what, you need to know the JAR rules because thats what you are going to be working under

The RT is pants over there and it gives you no training what so ever for CPL/IR when you get back to the UK. I know people will say are but it works we don't have more crashes than UK etc. It may be true but it still means you have to work harder when doing your courses back in the UK.

As for the learning factor hour building, I have come to realise that banging in 2 50hr blocks in 2 weeks dosn't really help either.
You don't get the experence of different wx and you get up the learning curve but you come down just as fast.

I think the way that FFF has approached his hour building buying into a group and doing some decent xc's is far better than poking holes in the sky, just because you have 4 days left to do 20 hours in. And your most difficult challange is deciding if your bladder is going to last until your fuel runs out.

Choice of schools.

There is nothing better than talking to people who have been there done that. And to their faces as well, there are some cowboys out there with some very nice adverts who by reputation have screwed wannabies for years but seem to keep on getting away with it with the help of lawyers.

Payment

Never ever pay up front. And pay by CC if possible.

MJ