PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suitable alternatives
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 05:26
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re the Shuttle....warning...a digression,,Churchill is at almost 59 north, whereas as I recall it the shuttle rarely tracked more than about 52north, and only on certain missions (usually when accessing the ISS). In short in orbit it would never have overflown Churchill and to land there would have needed to have done a lot of cross range manoeuvring on entry...The shuttle might have been capable of doing so on a good day, for a limited portion of a high inclination orbit flight, I don’t know, but I’d guess the opportunity for doing so would be so rare it wasn’t worth planning on..hence it’s not on the list. .( BTW the ability, or not, of the shuttle to go cross range on reentry and if so how by how far was another unfortunate complication in it’s development, and one of the reasons it ended up with a bigger wing than ideal and a lower payload carrying capability than ideal...blame the USAF...).

Anyway back on thread....in our much slower lower world we no longer regard Churchill as suitable anyway, due to lack of support.