PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSA Licensing
Thread: ATSA Licensing
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2003, 03:40
Connex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1261 –

I would expect the annual check to be akin to taking an ATSA Validation Board test – ie: practical and oral tests covering all aspects of the ATSA function specific to the location at which the test is being held, and for which the licence/COC will be issued. Practical examinations to be carried out by delegated ATSAs, and possibly an ATCO with knowledge of ATSA issues to sit in on the oral Board . The whole process should be overseen by SRG, to ensure that standards are being maintained.

As for a medical examination - bit of a grey area - I am not certain whether this would be as much of a requirement as it is for ATCOs – depends upon the particular ATSA function, I suppose. There could be good grounds for needing one if the ATSA is engaged in “live” situations, such as Lighting Panel or supporting ATCOs in VCRs or En-Route for instance, whereas ATSAs working permanently in ATC office environments, (for want of a better expression) may not be deemed to require the same level of medical check. I myself do not object to medical examinations being part of the licence requirement.

With regard to the payment for training, or for being paid as an OJTI/LCE for that matter, I think NATS has made a rod for its own back -you cannot set a precedent by rewarding one group of individuals for doing a job, and then steadfastly refuse to reward another group for doing what is essentially the same task. This is the situation as it stands – generally, ATCOs get paid for training; ATSAs don’t.

Unfortunately, the days of being “professional” when it comes to NOT being paid for something have long gone. Although I am a volunteer ATSA mentor myself, I personally don’t see many volunteers in ATC offering to undertake additional (unpaid) duties. Also, I am not so financially comfortable as to be able to accept “professional pride” in lieu of hard cash!

1261 – although I personally support your idea of “professionalism” within ATC, IMHO professionalism in this day and age only comes at a price. Nothing is more certain to cause dissent amongst a Company workforce than the issue of pay. Although you may get a few “volunteers” along the way, today’s workforce does not accept the principle of “something for nothing” – you do something, you get paid for it – and especially if somebody else is already 'doing' and 'getting' just that. Sorry, but there are no friends where money is concerned!