PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 16:56
NutLoose

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyneham Lad
Spring and summer '82 we (wife plus two young sons) were living in Donderberg, a suburb of Roermond. I commuted to/from Brueggen on my trust Honda steed and if, arriving home of a sunny late afternoon / early evening to an empty house & no car in the drive, I knew exactly where they would be - swimming and splashing about at the lake alongside the Maas on the other side of Roermond. A quick change then tootle off to join them for a relaxing bbq and (one) beer. About the only good thing that could be said about living in Donderberg.

Some of the lakes were produced due to the quarrying to build Bruggen I believe, one of our guys learnt to windsurf there so he could show his stuff on an annual Deci trip, all went well and come his first go in Deci he dissapeared off into the distance heading for Italy, a guy went out in a boat and recovered him, asking where he thought he was going, he said he learnt at Roermond and got quiet good at it, however he used to cross the lake, hop off turn round then sail back across, it was only when out at sea he realised he hadn't practiced the turning bit

When I watched the only fools and horses Miami special with Del surfing out at sea I had to chuckle as it reminded me of him.