PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL Revalidation Check Ride
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 13:22
Boeing100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTN11
Exactly this.

When I examine for a revalidation prof check, I would expect mass & balance, performance, and fuel plans to be completed. If they are not, you can bet I'll be asking some indepth questions to assess whether it is due to complacency or lack of knowledge these items were not completed.

If you come out with 30 l/hr fuel burn, the first question will be where you got that figure from. If you say "my instructor told me 32 so I just rounded it down" you can bet I'll be saying lets take a look at what the POH says, and get you using the graphs to calculate actual fuel required. ( i will finalize once I have the actual temperature on the day)

If however the answer is I have looked at the climb graphs, and taken a planned 75% power at 2000', and rounding this up gives a conservative fuel burn of 30 l/r, then I probably wouldn't go to the effort of getting the POH out and trawling through it, as I would know the expected fuel burn myself, and you have demonstrated knowledge and appreciation of the aircraft performance.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. I'm not intending on using a rounded figure for my fuel planning. I've used the POH and have already prepared charts and figures accordingly which I will supply to the examiner including W&B (departure and landing CG), Takeoff distance (normal and short field), landing distance, and fuel performance.

My question was about the FREDA check which is done in flight, every 10/15 minutes or so. Doing mental math using 30 L is a lot easier to extrapolate (10 min = 5 litres) than using 32. Because this is meant to be an estimate rather than a POH figure, I would have thought that for a 1 leg NAV, it should be acceptable? The reality of things is that I'm going on a 1h20 fight will full tanks so apart from switching fuel tanks from time to time, actual endurance is non factor (though I wouldn't say that to the examiner, I understand he wants to see that I can get a sense of how much fuel i've used and subsequently that I'm comfortable with the remaining endurance to complete the NAV).