PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple or Android tablet?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 11:21
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap, at first I thought it was trolling, but you guys are serious.

I'm not the most experienced pilot, but I had my fixed wing private license before a tablet was even a gleam in anyone's eye. I've flown with paper maps and, while manageable in a fixed wing cockpit, in a helicopter cockpit they are a PITA.

I will carbon date myself a little bit, and agree with you Luddites to a certain extent, in that I find myself uncomfortable with the so called vector or Jepp VFR charts. I feel a bit lost without the detail of a Sectional. I chose software (Garmin Pilot) that displays Sectional charts.

But, more importantly, and more to the point, if a tablet is not improving your head up/out time, then you are not using it correctly. Forget convenience or gimmicks, they just make you faster at everything. Or should. Choosing and finding landmarks for navigational crosschecks (you don't trust the tablet, do you?) is much faster because you know precisely where you are and the map is always oriented properly. And, if you find there is a discrepancy, rectifying it is no worse than with a paper map. Reading is faster, no squinting at things, you can zoom things in. HSI type info is right there in the same place and taken in at glance. No folding or manipulation, your hands stay on the controls where they belong. The ADS-B info is put right on top of the chart, no need for a separate display or a separate place to look. With a little practice, I am now finding traffic well before I would normally, and the stuff that doesn't show up on ADS-B I find faster because I'm spending more time head up/out.

I'll throw another bone the Luddites way: it can make you lazy at organizing information for your flight ahead of time. Instead of making a cheat sheet with all the necessary runway, frequency, altitude, etc. info. you do tend to just punch the buttons on the tablet to get that in flight. That does create some easily avoidable head down time, however that's a fault of discipline, not the tool. I'll throw myself under that bus, by the way.

I suppose if you are hopelessly fascinated by shiny things you will be the sort to stare continuously at the tablet. But that's obviously the wrong way to use the tool, and a fault of the user, not the tool. It needs to have a proper place in the scan and not be the entire scan.

BTW, if you do get a shiny new tablet and put some shiny new aviation software on it, a couple of really great ways to get used to it is to play with it while being a passenger in a car or, even better, a airliner. I learned to use my tablet sitting way in the back of a lot of Southwest 737s

P.S. my phone backs up my tablet, and the up to date paper chart sits in the little chart/checklist slot, waiting to back that up, too.