PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 08:19
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planespeaking
Now it's a long time since I've heard of someone actually advocating taking on the M11 to Stansted or
'shooting over Dartford' to Gatwick rather than use SEN because of one unhappy experience. By the way when was the last time anyone from Essex actually ' shot over Dartford' to LGW. I have heard of a number of people missing their flights because of holds ups on the bridge or in the tunnel.
But please feel free mike3bravo.
My nearest airport is SEN however I often drive to LGW or STN (LCY and LTN too and unavoidably LHR on occasions) for flights even when on the rare occasion SEN offers the same destination. I do this because other airports offer better flight schedules and quite often I want to be out early morning and back the same day.

On average I drive to LGW twice a month and have never missed a flight due to traffic congestion. This is partly due to most of my short haul flights departing early morning so I have the bridge to myself. However when flying long haul I normally depart mid-evening and the journey to LGW is in the rush hour.

I'd much prefer a short taxi ride to SEN but the flight schedules from SEN are geared towards holiday makers and not business travellers.

Interesting to see that the local authority capped the pax numbers to 2m in the S106 agreement. Can SEN payback the massive investment by Stobart with 2m pax annually? I'm guessing not.