PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple or Android tablet?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 05:36
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't let yourself be pulled in the "I hate ..... products" discussion. It really depends on what you want to do. I for example, as a professional developer, I really do like Linux servers (Android is a kind of Linux) but on the desktop side I prefer Mac with - if needed - Windows in a virtual machine or boot camp and many of my colleagues do the same. While a Linux desktop is a good machine, I just hate the looks of it.
Android is very mature, as is iOS. The price advantage of Android devices disappears with higher quality of the screen and the hardware. Some really good Android tablets are even more expensive, than the latest iPad. You need a high end tablet with all the graphics you will use.
A disadvantage of Android devices is, that many companies do not support them very long. After a year or so, they often get an update only rarely or not at all. Most devices out there are not on the latest Android version (something that drives Google nuts).
If you use it in a corporate environment, the admins will frown upon this. Apple supports its hardware much longer.

My experience is, that iPads are almost unbreakable. They just work.
The advantage of Android is more flexibility. On the other hand, some android tablet manufactures add their own software which is often just "crapware".

One of the often overseen aspects is, what are you comfortable with. If you have an Android phone, a high end Android tablet is a huge advantage, because you know better where to find stuff in a stressful environment.

Microsoft surface is also a possibility, if your software of choice does support it. I find Windows 10 a rather refreshing sight and many Mac users give it a try and are delighted - except for the crapware you have to uninstall after every update (or is that fixed?).

My experience is, that whenever I have to buy a new machine with the performance level that is need for my usage pattern, the prices do not differ a lot. Just don't by cheap. It really comes down to preference, environment and availability of software.