PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 22:36
Checkboard

Received 116 Likes on 56 Posts
As Pelair are tied to the pilot by 234, their response is pretty much what I would expect. I don't even disagree with it.

The 0830 SPECI was neither passed, nor sought - and that is the shame of this accident. While that time was before a diversion point no one knows wether it would have triggered a diversion or not, though (no diversion airport weather had been requested, and I personally doubt a PNR was calculated).

That the loaded fuel was sufficient for normal operations was more luck than skill as no enroute winds had been obtained to accurately calculate it, though. The other pilots loaded generous (full, on this route) fuel to mitigate that type of innacuracy, and he didn't.

Yes - I understand that even with full fuel he would have arrived without an alternate option (but more holding). Yes, giving him the benefit of doubt, he would have diverted immediately if given the 0830 - and would have been lucky to have enough just fuel to do so (as he hadn't calculated a diversion).

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see anything more happen to the pilot. I think he performed perhaps a little (not a lot) below average for GA jet pilots at that time. I think he has to be better now.

That CASA make the ATPL nav exams so complex that no one expects to be able to use the exam techniques in real life - and the exams are sat so early in a career that they are a distant memory by the time a person commands a two crew aircraft - is a problem. The operators also don't have easily used techniques in their manuals or training. Both of those are STILL issues.

Something I wrote in 1999:
PNR usage