PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for basic/traffic service info
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 17:27
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JammedStab
The quote below was made recently concerning a midair collision.

"neither agency could have provided anything more than a Basic Service. The accident occurred outside the area of responsibility of Farnborough North and London Info cannot give a Traffic Service at any time."

Being from out of the country and just learning about ATC service in Britain, some expanded information would be aprreciated.

How can I find out where the area of responsibility is. I do have a Listening squawks ans LARS printout from my flight school which has various frequencies.

Confirm that once outside an area of responsibility, one can still get basic service from that facility.

Why will London Info not give traffic service? Are they too busy and therefore have been told not to do so?
London Info are non radar and only able to give basic. If you are writing about the collision at Waddesdon then the Farnborough LARS will not give traffic in that area below 2300’, Luton would only provide basic outside controlled airspace (and at that time they would have been busy with IFR in and out bounds) Oxford would have been best, and the whole accident was on their radar.

Oxford Radar is bloody good, but too few transits use them. The Cabri at its altitude would have got basic, but the C152 was high enough to get traffic from Oxford.

I regularly hear aircraft in the WCO area asking Brize for a service when Oxford is closer, has better radar and a lot of the WCO traffic is often from Oxford and working radar on 127.75

If you’re in the area, give them a call, they are not scary, enjoy what they do and if you want a traffic service will do their best.

SND