PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 6th Dec 2017, 14:06
Lonewolf_50

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts
There were multiple holes in the Swiss Cheese, Skydiver, which may be a better model to view this accident through than the 'broken critical link in the chain.'
You and Thomas seem to be discussing two of the holes:
1. Fuel mismanagement
2. The forced landing going horribly wrong.

Behind both of those factors are a combination of human and systemic factors.

henra brings up a point about urban terrain, at night, being hostile terrain for a helicopter pilot flying medium to low altitudes. I will suggest that the general public, or even the great unwashed, probably don't appreciate that particular element of this tragic loss. It is my opinion that one won't understand it one has been in the mind set of a helicopter pilot doing just that.
My own experiences when flying with one engine (huey or jet ranger) over an urban area was a condition of measured paranoia.
Flying over an urban area at night triggered an always running "if the engine winds down where do I put this" loop running in the back of my mind. This was a taught/acquired skill, or mind set. I am just glad I never had it happen to me (losing the donks in that situation). Back then, the night flying was unaided/no NVG.

*returns to lurk mode*