PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new pvt. pilot
Thread: new pvt. pilot
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 22:58
joeboez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is in response to knobbygb, its a draft im writing for my flying club.
aircraft used : cessna 152

* is the coolest retired person I’ve ever met. He’s sharp, funny, and has a lot to teach. My advice for your check ride is to prepare as best as you can, take a phase check, and practice, practice practice… * is more then an examiner, he’s an instructor. The most comforting thing I can tell you is to expect to learn.

* called and left me a message the day before our flight telling me to plan a cross country to Ganser Field (40nm ENE of the Chico VOR). I planned the cross-country the night before the test taking into consideration: runway length, altitudes, and weather. I woke up that morning excited and a bit nervous. I called flight service and copied the weather information. I then calculated my times, loads, and fuel burn. I met + at the Flyers and we headed out to Lou’s trailer. + left after joking around with Lou for a few minutes.

For the first hour Lou and I talked about aviation, life, and *’s amazing flying carrier. We first started with the oral portion of the test. * is big on accurate paper work, so make sure you have all of your legal maintenance documents, flight manuals, and weight + balance sheets. Refer to the FARs if you have to. Some of the harder oral questions he asked referred to some common sense type calculations.

Example-
Q: How can you estimate the temperature of a field if the temperature at 060 is 14*C.
A: Field elevation is 3,500 and its temperature is unknown. So if temperature decreases 2*C per thousand feet, it increases as you descend every thousand feet. The temperature at 060 is 14*C, so the temperature at field elevation is 5*C+14*C= 19*C.

Q: What can you expect the barometric pressure to be at 6,000 feet?
A: Barometric pressure decreases by 1” every thousand feet. So if at ground level your pressure is 29.92 the pressure at 060 is 23.92.

Make sure, you consider cruise density altitudes and the proper airplane tables for your cross country. I neglected to account the temperature information for my x-country calculations. Some other questions he asked me related to TAS, IAS, CAS, aircraft performance, chart information, AFD questions, and oxygen requirements. I believe * tests you on an individual basis. He likes to challenge you, so don’t be surprised if the questions are harder or easier then the ones I’ve listed. After passing, my oral test, we took a lunch break and agreed to meet at the plane in an hour.

After eating and finishing a thorough preflight, I met * at the plane. I went through my normal checks and started my flight as if # was to my right seat. I explained all of the thoughts going through my mind while flying. We took off 33 with a slight crosswind and climbed to 035 on our heading of 007*. While leaning the mixture * taught me to use carb. heat to check for a drop. This indicates that your engine is leaned properly. After finishing my ground speed and TAS check he told me to divert to Nut Tree. We anchored on a road south of Travis AFB for about 5 minutes and departed on our heading. * will fail you if you don’t stick with a set heading and disregard your calculated time. DO NOT FLY OFF COURSE WHEN YOU SEE THE AIRPORT, wait for your time to end. When our time was up, Nut Tree was directly on our left wind and I started a shallow descent requesting airport advisories. A pilot came on frequency informing me of a temporary airport closure and sure enough X’s were visible on the runways. * told me we would head to Byron. Along the way he simulated an engine out and I performed turns around the point. Arriving at Byron I went through my uncontrolled airport procedures by requesting advisories and flying over head. I advised the traffic I would be entering the pattern and we did one normal touch and go followed by a full stop short field approach. This was the only part of the flight I was afraid of failing. After exiting the runway * informed me that I landed short of my touchdown zone. He said he would give me another chance at Oakland. We went through a second run-up and informed the traffic that we would be taking off and departing the area. I made a 360* turn on the taxiway clearing traffic. After takeoff I turned toward my desired heading and * put me under the hood. * asked me for climbs, turns, recovery from unusual attitudes, and to track into a VOR. Although it isn’t in the PTS, * also covered my vacuum instruments and had me do magnetic turns. Although they were a bit rusty * felt it was acceptable. He also asked me to identify VOR morse code and we tracked into the station. I analyzed the OBS excessivly and * assured me it was less complicated then I was making it. I came off the hood over Livermore. * told me to start my high air maneuvers which turned out fine. Lou then told me to head home. I contacted NORCAL and made a nice short field approach into Oakland.

My tips for the flight portion of your test with *…
Use your checklist
Scan continuously for traffic
Try not to be nervous, pretend you’re flying solo or with you’re instructor
Be confident with your decisions and don’t second guess yourself. Fly like you normally do, I doubt he will favor hesitation
Act as PIC
Don’t expect your flight to be exactly like mine. He wants to see what you’re capable of so he tests your abilities.
Fly with an open ear, because this WWII Navy fighter pilot will teach you a lot.

After our landing I taxied off the runway, shutdown the plane, and * exited. He told me to meet him at his trailer for my debriefing. I refueled and met with #. We then headed to *’s trailer and started the debrief. * told me that I did a good job overall and gave me a lot of great advice. He then congratulated me and handed my temporary PVT. Pilot’s certificate. I thanked both * and # thanking both of them for a memorable experience.

I feel fortunate for the opportunity to live my dream at the age of seventeen. Looking back at the test and my great flight training I honestly can say that I don’t have any regrets. Every lesson I’ve had with # was well worth it and it was great to see our hard work pay off. My flight training at 123456 was excellent, but more importantly I walked away with new friends. Just remember that you’re taking a check ride because both you and your CFI think you’re ready. All you have to do is to prove it to your examiner.