PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 06:02
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Eddie, the problem is that by not releasing the exact transcripts it leads to suspicion that perhaps things could have been altered/distorted/omitted/added."

According to the pilot concerned thats exactly what happened

"I cannot for the life of me(and it would have been my life) understand his refusal to take full fuel from Apia"

The fuel he took was what was legally required to complete the flight under the rules that applied at the time and in accordance with Pelair's fuel policy. The same fuel others had taken before him, including the Chief Pilot.

It costs fuel to carry fuel, Mr Davies analysis showed even if he took full fuel he would more than likely ended up at Norfolk with the same residual fuel as he had.
There is also the likelihood that he would have been descended to a level outside RVSM airspace due to being to heavy to climb, in which case we wouldn't be having the conversation as he would have had to divert to Nadi to take on more fuel.
To my mind his biggest mistake was leaving Samoa in the first place. A wiser and perhaps more experienced mind would have deduced, I aint had proper rest,
the patient aint critical, its the middle of the night, bugger it, I'll go in the morning.
But then just how much commercial pressure was there to complete the mission?