PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 20:07
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with many of my posts on this thread, I have to start by saying that I was in the ATC and got a little gliding in at Manston in the late 60s and early 70s.

Before we start looking at how to replace the fleet, I do wonder why the RAF has to own what appears to be the world's largest fleet of publicly funded gliders. (Happy to be proved wrong here, by the way). I honestly can't see the justification, especially in these financially challenged times for defence. It's been justified as a recruiting tool and also a way of promoting 'air mindedness', as well as the RAF itself, but honestly I think its time is done.

I'd be as sad as many others to see it go,and I know that, in the past, the ATC has done great things for many young people. But, in my view, the RAF has shown that it's not especially good at providing airworthy aircraft for young civilians to fly in. Those serving can accept the risk - I wonder whether the RAF's dismal track record with this fleet poses an unacceptable level of risk for any new fleet.

And please, spare me the 'we've learned lots of lessons and we have made many changes designed to make sure that this doesn't happen again'. Or even worse, 'now we have the MAA this can't happen again'.

Here's the question - would you let your child fly in an RAF maintained glider?. I wouldn't. I wouldn't fly in one myself. Sorry to those working with the aircraft now, but I just think this whole thing has gone too far over the edge.

Best regards as ever to those charged with trying to sort out things,

Engines