PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Boeing can’t speak proper.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 20:05
Chris Martyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always interesting observing chaps of different generations , nationalities and aircraft types exchanging notes.
One aspect of this which does have to be accepted though [however begrudgingly] is the fact that every new generation of aircraft brings with it , its own "language". It's in the pilot training packages , the engineering training packages , MEL's , POH's ,,,,,,,,,,,etc,,etc. Not to mention the exams that we all have to endure.
I remember back in 1993 , when my employer went from classic B747's to A340's . The culture shock almost caused a seismic rumble amongst the engineers , who had never heard of ADIRU's, Mode Selectors [thrust levers] Prim's , SEC's, Normal Laws , Alternate Laws,,,,,,and the rest.
One of the more humorous aspects was the engineering training videos and the robot-like mispronunciations of words that we [thought] we knew..

Having spent time in both Everett Wa. and Toulouse and having seen what melting pots they are of different nationalities , it is easy to see how this strange , eccentric and somewhat bastardised language that many of us have become familiar with has come about.
An interesting fact emerged when in Toulouse back in the late 1990s when I remarked to one of the sim. instructors about how many Chinese lady pilots were in attendance ..."Non, non non Monsieur" , came the reply. "They are not pilots , they are translators". Apparently it takes about three times longer to train some of our Asian colleagues in the sim. than it does with others who subscribe to a higher standard of English.

So , in answer to the OP's original point . I guess the manufacturers have to establish a 'middle ground' language-wise.
We know what they really mean. A fire "handle" on an Airbus is really a switch , but to subscribe to convention , they make it look like a handle.

Golly , I'm glad I'm close to retirement....