PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I still be an airline pilot with a misdemeanor in my record?
Old 5th Dec 2017, 19:07
Marcson15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I still be an airline pilot with a misdemeanor in my record?

Hello pprune crew,

My name is Marcson. Let me start by saying I appreciate all you do to inform and educate this community.

Would be honored to hear the anyone's thoughts on my subject.

I started flight training in March 2017 and on August, 24th 2017 I passed my Private pilot check right. Am currently working on both instruments and commercial with the same part 141 school here in Baltimore, Maryland where I had my PPL. Paying out of pocket (hoping I can get it all done with no debt to CPL).

So I saw something somewhere about a pilot being rejected few years ago for having a misdemeanor on his record for shoplifting. That got me thinking hard and honestly, kind of discouraging when I read articles about the subject.

In October 2016 I was charged for driving without a license. Technically I had a license; (A license from my country and an International drivers license) but was told by the police officer they were not valid licenses in the state of MD(learnt my lesson). When to court and the judge put me on a 6 months Probation Before Judgment (PBJ). Which I have done and gotten my drivers license from the MVA here.

I consulted a lawyer who said it can get expunged after 3 years. That will be October 2019.

With this in my record and considering that I might get done with my ratings to commercial in less than a year if all goes well money wise, will I be able to have a job starting out for time building, like banner towing, jump pilot, flight instructing (if I go that route)? Further more will I be able to get an ATP license in future and will this hinder me in anyway when I start applying for the regionals and eventually the majors.

Or is there any regulation(s) that states that having misdemeanors or felonies will prevent prospective aviators from being hired. Can I have the reference please if there's any of such regulation (s).

I don't want to spend all this money and can't use my ratings.

I current hold a Bachelor degree in management and a first class medical certificate from the FAA.

I apologize for the lengthy email. Accept in advance my appreciation for your response and wish you all endless visibility and tail winds up there.

Thanks