PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skids or Wheels
Thread: Skids or Wheels
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 14:51
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll show my hand as I am directly involved with the AW109 HEMS operation in the UK.

The 109 has no more issues in the HEMS role than any other aircraft in relation to skids or wheels in unprepared landing sites.

We occasionally have to reposition in boggy fields due to the wheels sinking, no more than we've seen skidded helicopters having to reposition on uneven rocky surfaces or unable to land on some slopes. Bear Paws are available, we've never felt it necessary to install them though.

I am not aware of even brake pipe damage (the most likely thing to break in my mind) as a result of HEMS landings in an AW109, the company flight safety system has no mention of any occurrence of incidents like this.

I would suggest that if an AW109 HEMS aircraft got bogged down so deeply that damage was caused to the aircraft, that a skidded aircraft would probably have not wanted to land in the same site either.

The taxi and landing lights as others have said are in the fixed portion of the Sponsons.

A steerable light is standard, 2 on the newer model are available as a factory fit.

One of the aircraft is hangared about 1/4 of a mile from the spot it sits on during the day and towing it is not an issue.

Wheels definitely get selected down for every landing , no matter 2,1 or no engines running.

The AW factory pilots used to demonstrate engine off landings to the ground years ago, I believe full EOLs are now only done in the sim even at the factory, but I may be wrong.

If the wheels don't come down for any reason (there are two hydraulic systems that operate the wheels just in case), it is possible to land the aircraft on it's belly and it has been done before, I know for certain in the older models without sponsons, which I think are less stable in roll in a wheels up scenario as they are narrower at the point they contact the ground.

Last edited by VeeAny; 6th Dec 2017 at 07:01. Reason: Typo