PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS eases entry tests for women
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 06:10
The Oberon

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that the lowering of entry standards pales into insignificance when you consider the hurdles that have to be crossed before anyone is even considered for selection. Unlike the SAS(R), you cannot walk in off the street and try to join the regular SAS. Although selection is open to all arms of the services, the vast majority come from an airborne or commando background. This means that the majority of candidates, male or female, must pass P Company or equivalent and also have considerable, relevant experience of serving in those branches. I'm pretty sure that, despite several attempts, no female has passed P Company and that no female has even attempted the 38 week RM course.

I also believe that there are 5, much fitter than most males, females who have passed the 10 week AACC and earned their "green lid". The majority passed as equals but at least 1 was given concessions that would not have been given to a male candidate.

We have physical gender differences, it doesn't make one superior to the other, just different. I have mentioned the sporting analogy before, we still have gender separation in the vast majority of sports, not because we want to, but to allow everyone a chance to compete and succeed on level terms,